Christmas Magic

Christmas time is here, and I couldn’t be more excited. I love the month of December because you can feel the magic in the air. Kids have permanent smiles, family is coming together, and the community is genuinely happier. This is a month that many look forward to all year long. The snow begins to fall, the air is crisp, and nothing sounds better than curling up by a fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate.

My most treasured childhood memories come from the Christmas season. I still laugh about us tricking my parents into getting up early by setting their clock ahead one hour. I remember watching my dad and brothers struggle to bring in what could only be described as a Rockefeller tree, then watching my dad chop the tree into pieces in order to get it back out of the house. I remember the Christmas that I knew without a doubt that Santa Clause was real because I received a giant stuffed Winnie the Pooh Bear that I knew my parents would never buy. Being the youngest of six kids, Christmas was always loud, eventful, and full of so much love.

Growing up, my family had many Christmas traditions. One of my favorite traditions was doing the 12 days of Christmas for someone in need. The most memorable year was when we did it for a widower. On the last night, my parents, my five siblings and I popped out from behind the car and started to sing a Christmas carol. He started crying because he was overwhelmed with joy. That moment changed Christmas for me. As much as I enjoy being with my very large family during Christmas, I can’t help but think of those that are alone each Christmas.

I hope to create a similar atmosphere for my daughters during Christmas that I had growing up that will allow them to feel the same magic and peace that comes with the holiday, but I want them to always remember to lend a helping hand to those that may be alone this Christmas. I plan to continue many of the same traditions that both my husband and I had as children, such as: candle-lit Christmas dinners, chopping down our own Christmas tree, making gingerbread houses, visiting Santa Clause and many others, but this year we’re going to add a new tradition to our list. My little family is going to do 25 days of service throughout the month of December. I’m very excited to not only help others, but to also make our holiday season more meaningful.

I’ve learned that Christmas magic isn’t planned or created by someone. Christmas magic is what happens when you’re spending time together. It is experiencing special moments of seeing a widower cry with thankfulness together or it’s six siblings sitting in a room together debating who is willing to wake up mom and dad next. It’s when time seems to slow down and life has a little more magic.

Published in The Tremonton Leader in December 2017





Comments