First-time homeowners find a slice of paradise


We bought our very first home and we couldn’t be more excited about it! After shopping for houses all over Box Elder County for the past six months, we finally found the perfect home in Thatcher. They’re not lying when they say that this is a sellers’ market because the majority of the homes we looked at went “under contract” within days (or even hours) of us seeing them. We consider ourselves lucky to have purchased a house without it turning into a bidding war.

In just the short time that we’ve lived here, it’s been easy to see that Thatcher is one-of-a-kind. Whenever we’re outside, neighbors will stop by to introduce themselves and see if we need anything. We even had people offer to bring dinner the day we moved in (since our kitchen appliances were packed away). Shortly after we moved in, two cute 10-year-old girls came knocking on my door. When I answered the door, they said, “We are just riding around the neighborhood seeing if anyone needs anything.” If that doesn’t make me feel like this is the perfect place to live, then the neighbors who brought over the delicious homemade cinnamon rolls to welcome us sure did.

I love that it’s normal to see four-wheelers riding down the road and kids playing without their parents. I love that just last week I saw a young man mowing an elderly couple’s lawn. I love living in a place where we see horses, goats, dogs, cats, chickens, and sheep in just a short walk around the neighborhood. The only thing I don’t like seeing is the giant blow snake that I spotted close to my house, but we’ve since joined the pet ownership world and got two cats in hopes that we won’t see a snake again (wishful thinking).

Box Elder County is a special place with special people. I grew up in Honeyville, but moved away for nine years for school, and when I moved to Tremonton last year, I was happy to find that it still felt like home. One thing is for sure, every place in this county is just as friendly and tight-knit as the next. Sometimes it feels like everything and everyone is moving so quickly, but I love that time seems to slow down here and we can savor moments a little easier. We definitely have a good thing going.

Published in the Tremonton Leader in June 2018


Comments