Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone


I did something completely out of my comfort zone this last month; I competed in my first powerlifting competition. A powerlifting competition is when people come together and try to lift more weight than other people in their weight class. I have always wanted to do one, and I finally decided that it was now or never. I pulled the trigger, signed up, and then started training.
Oddly enough, I’ve actually been a marathon runner for the last 10 years. Yes, I have always lifted weights, but it wasn’t my focus, then at 28-years-old I thought to myself, “what if I did a powerlifting competition?” That’s how it always begins, right? A question to completely switch gears and do something we’ve never done before.

The day of the meet, I was so incredibly nervous. I didn’t know a soul in the room, I didn’t have a trainer, and it felt like everyone but me knew exactly what they were doing. I saw that the room was set up so that every single spectator (about 100 people) would be staring at me when I did my lift. I was afraid I was going to mess up and somehow make a fool of myself. After seriously considering slipping out of the back door, I decided that I’d stay, I’d compete, and I’d just hope I didn’t trip and fall.

We are always telling our kids to sign up for dance! Sign up for swimming lessons! Try out for the school play! Step out of your comfort zone and try new things! However, when we become adults, most of us get comfortable in our routines. We get into our daily habits and never question if there is something better for us out there. We may not be as comfortable as we once were being in a room full of people we don’t know.

I decided I needed to stay at the competition so that my daughters could see that their Mom can be brave too. I stayed, I lifted, and it was the most empowering, exhilarating and coolest things I have ever done. An insane amount of adrenaline was running through my body because of the nerves and all the spectators staring, so I was able to lift more than ever before and actually set a new state record.

I’m going to say to you what you say to your children, try new things! Step out of your comfort zone! Go after that thing that’s always been in your mind and heart!  Sometimes it’s hard to jump into something new, but it all starts with a question. Could I start my own business? Could I run a marathon? Could I write a book? You know those questions… the ones that light your heart on fire and you just can’t seem to get the thought out of your mind. Next time, just go for it! Make the first step! Start the business! Run the marathon! Write the book! You’ll never know if it will all work out until you try.

 Published in the Tremonton Leader in April 2019


Comments