Goal for new year: 12 months of improved habits


It’s January! I love January because it’s a brand-new year just ready to be filled with new ideas, goals, adventures, etc. I love making plans of what I hope will come of this year, and I am excited to see what other unexpected things will come our way.

For me, January is all about planning out my year and setting goals. I love writing it all down and figuring out how I’m going to get there. I’m trying something a bit different this year, though. Instead of focusing on big goals I want to achieve, I’m going to focus on habits I want to change.

In the past, I’ve made grandiose lists of goals that I wanted to accomplish that year, and most of the time, I accomplish 50% of them. That tactic has sort of worked in the past, but this year is different. This year is the year that I want to improve my habits. I want to get up early and go to bed early. I want to exercise every day and eat better. I want to learn more and be more. 

I’m going to add one new habit (or cut out one bad one) for one month straight every month of the year – so 12 new habits. Rather than plan out my entire year, I’m going to just plan it one month at a time, but I’ve made a long list of ideas for the year.

I’m going to do things such as: taking a break from social media, exercising more, cutting out processed foods, cutting out caffeine, flossing my teeth, stretching, meditating, journaling, organizing, doing something nice for someone every day, etc. I do all these things already, just not consistently, so I want to focus on making stronger habits and adding them into a daily routine. I’m starting January off by taking a break from social media for the month. I figured it’s a great way to start off the year and focus on what I really want out of 2020.  

Whatever your 2020 goals are and whatever your strategy is to accomplish them, I hope it works for you. I hope this year brings you health and happiness! If you haven’t written your goals down for the year yet, don’t worry, it’s not too late!

Published in the Tremonton Leader in January 2020





Comments