Home Sweet Home

I was born and raised in Honeyville, but over the last nine years I’ve lived in St. George, Salt Lake City, Nashville, and Salt Lake City again. My husband recently got a job in Tremonton, and our little family moved here in February. I was excited to be close to family, but I was a little afraid to not have a Costco or Chick-fil-A right down the road (I’m pregnant and get serious cravings). I was also hesitant to see familiar faces in the grocery store as I wasn’t sure how it would go, but that’s turned out to be one of my very favorite things about moving back. I love seeing my past classmates, neighbors, teachers and friends and being able to catch up on the last almost-decade.

A few weeks after moving back to Tremonton, I was pulling into the gym parking lot when a woman cut me off with her truck multiple times and then started driving over several parking spots. After living in the city for the last seven years, I didn’t think much of it. I just assumed that she was a bad driver and that was the end of it. After parking and getting out of my car, I noticed she was walking towards me. Honestly, I got a little nervous. I started wondering if I did something wrong and was about to get chewed out. She said to me “I’m so sorry for driving like a crazy person. It’s just been one of those mornings.” She went on to apologize several more times. I couldn’t believe it. That had never happened to me. It made me so happy to be living in a community where people actually care about one another.

My 18-month-old is the sweetest little girl, but sometimes she is screaming in the grocery store (or any public place for that matter) and I have to either carry her out screaming or she’s eating an unpurchased cookie before we’ve even checked out. Here, you have so many people offering cookies, candy and books just to lend a hand and let me know I’m not alone. Everyone is so accepting and understanding of families and I couldn’t be more appreciative.

I love this little city. I love that you won’t leave the grocery store without having at least one conversation with someone that goes beyond “here’s your receipt”. I love that when I meet someone new they want to know all about me. Some of the first conversations I had with “strangers” after moving here went way beyond “what’s your name” and “what do you do”. We talked about their childhood, how many kids they had, where they lived, what they like to do and it always ended with a smile. I love that the County Fair is more anticipated than Christmas and that the opening of the snow cone shack is the best part of my week, (and apparently many others based on the line.)

We are very lucky to live in such a charming, tight-knit community where neighbors come together to help each other with flood damage, immediately pull over to see if you need help (when your baby has a gross accident in the back), and will introduce themselves and offer help the minute they see a moving truck out front. I’m already so happy with the decision to move to Tremonton and consider myself lucky to live among some of the best and most genuine people I’ve ever met.

Published April 2017 in The Tremonton Leader




Comments