Six of the Most Valuable Lessons I’ve Learned from My Mom

With Mother's Day, I can’t help but reflect on the many things that my mother has done for me. From teaching me how to write a check and boil water, to showing me how to change a diaper and swaddle a baby, my mom is the reason I’m a functional adult today (though the “functional adult” part may be up for debate). Not a day goes by that I don’t appreciate all that she has done for me. I’ve heard the saying “I brought you into this world; I can take you out of it” from my mom’s mouth many times, so I’m also incredibly appreciative that she decided to let me live through my teenage years. Don’t worry, my dad taught and threatened me a lot too, but I’ll have to thank him for his lessons another time, because this month is all about my mom. So, without further ado, here are the six most valuable lessons I’ve learned from my mother:

11. Some Things Matter, Most Things Don’t
This lesson has become incredibly valuable since I’ve become a mother myself. When I start to worry that my kids are eating too much candy or that they didn’t get a long enough nap, my mom is always there to talk some sense into me. She reminds me that tomorrow is a new day and that most things won’t matter in five years. Unfortunately, this lesson is an easy one to forget, so I’m glad she is there to remind me of what matters most.

22.  I Can Do Hard Things
No matter what I want to do in life, my mom will support and encourage me, even if the task seems impossible. She’s taught me that I can do whatever I set my mind to; it might just require some hard work.  When I told her that I wanted to run a marathon when I hadn’t even run more than a mile before, she bought me some running shoes and told me to go for it! She’s my biggest cheerleader no matter the circumstance.

33.  Physical Fitness Matters
My mom has completed 50 marathons and many ultra-marathons. She eats healthy and she takes care of herself. She has taught me that taking care of my body is important, not only for my physical health, but for my mental health. Even though my daughters are only one and three, I still make it a priority to show them how to have a healthy lifestyle and when I'm feeling brave, I'll even bring them along for a run. 

44.  Never Stop Learning
My mom has always encouraged her children to better themselves each day. She always encouraged us to seek education and to never stop learning. My mom graduated from the University of Wyoming with a degree in Home Economics, and she made it a point to express why college was important to her while we were all growing up. All of six of her children have graduated from college and she still encourages us to read books and learn new things. In the current age we live in, we have access to so many e-courses and local classes, that we can literally learn about whatever we want!

55. You Can Make a Cake… Just Because
Some of my most favorite days growing up were walking in the door and finding a homemade cake sitting on the table just for me. It wasn’t my birthday. It wasn’t a special occasion. It was just because. Those were my favorite days! They made me feel special. I’m so excited to recreate those days for my kids, as soon as I stop screwing up the frosting.  

66. Call It Like It Is
If there is one thing my mom isn’t, it’s fake. She is incredibly down-to-earth and very real. She is willing to talk about anything and everything without judgment. I’ve always loved this trait about her and I hope to inherit it because it makes those around her feel comfortable to be themselves. 

Whether you are a new mom or your kids are grown up and gone, I hope you have a Happy Mother’s Day! I hope you are spoiled by those you love and also decide to spoil yourself. You make the world a better place!

Published in the Tremonton Leader and on powerofmoms.com in May 2019




Comments