A New Perspective

Last month, over 100 of my relatives gathered for a surprise party for my grandparent’s 85th birthdays. I was asked to write a life sketch about my grandparents and to share it at the party. Now, I’m not exactly the family history guru. I know the basic facts, but I’m not the person you’d ask if you wanted to know what my Grandma’s favorite pet was. I’ve always thought of my grandparents as just that, my grandparents. But I’ve never really known about their childhood or when they were young parents.

I started by asking my parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, and uncles what they knew about them, since I obviously couldn’t go straight to the source and ruin the surprise. I heard so many stories that I never knew about. The stories were personal and real. Learning specific details about their lives made me feel like I could actually put myself in their shoes and relate to their emotions, at least a little bit. I realize that my grandparents are 85 years old, but it’s never felt like they’ve lived for 85 years. I mean, I’ve only been around for the last 26 years, and I definitely don’t remember some of them.

Hearing about how they lived in a home without running water, heat, or air conditioning and how they had to use the stove to stay warm really blew my mind. They had to use an outhouse out back and they’d go to my great-grandparent’s house once a week to do laundry and dishes. It was interesting to hear that my Grandma remembers exactly where she was when President Kennedy was shot and that my grandparents furnished most of their house for just $400. I especially loved hearing stories that brought out more of their personality, like how my Grandpa used to put a nylon sock on his head and knock on the outside house window to tease their seven kids.

Reading and learning about their lives makes me feel like my life hasn’t even begun. My grandparents have 121 descendants and I have only one (soon to be two). It’s daunting to think about how much more I’m going to experience in my life and learning about their lives reminds me how lucky I am to have the “simple” things. It also reminds me that I don’t need a lot of the things that I deem a necessity.

When it comes to family history, I’m not one to care too much about basic facts such as: birthdays, places of birth, or how many wives someone had, but I love hearing real, raw stories. I feel like the stories make me feel much more connected and humanizes the great people that have come before me. It gives me a glimpse of what they went through and makes me feel closer to them. This experience has given me a new desire to learn more about my relatives and I’m excited to dig up more stories.

Published in the Tremonton Leader in July 2017






Comments