Getting Over Obstacles to Dreams and Goals


I know it’s already March 1st, but let’s talk about dreams and goals. Maybe you’re still going strong with your New Year’s resolutions, or maybe you’re planning on restarting yours on Monday. Either way I’m going to share the two things that have held me back from accomplishing my dreams in the past and what I’m doing to change it for the future.

The first thing that I recognized was holding me back from success was other people’s opinions. A large majority of people don’t go after their dreams because they’re afraid of what others might say when they fail. That is me all the way. I’m afraid to fail. I’m especially afraid of failing publicly. I’m also afraid that others around me might say “why does she think she’s so special that she can (you fill in the blank)?”

The second thing that has held me back from success is imposter syndrome. Imposter syndrome is a psychological pattern in which an individual doubts their accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a "fraud". In other words, you feel like you don’t belong, when you totally do.

After recognizing the two things that have held me back, I made a decision that if I wanted to accomplish something, and one of those two things were the reason I hadn’t done it yet, then I was going to dig deep for some courage, and go for it! After all, it only takes a few seconds of courage to change your life.

In my first moment of bravery, I signed up for my very first powerlifting meet. A powerlifting meet is a competition where people get together and try to lift more weight than those competing against you. Intimidating, right? I’ve wanted to do one for years, but I never felt like I could lift enough weight to “fit in” with the others and then imposter syndrome would set in. After all this time of wanting to do one, I finally pulled the trigger and paid my competition fees. The meet is in a few weeks, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared, but I’m determined to do the best I can, and have a good time competing.

In another moment of bravery, I sent an email to a handful of organizations asking if they wanted me to speak at their events. I’ve always wanted to be a public speaker, and hey, I even have a broadcast journalism degree, but I still felt like “who am I to do this?” I don’t have any past speaking experience to show, and I thought that they’d probably laugh at me for asking, but lo and behold, I booked my first gig! I figured that the opportunity isn’t going to come knocking on my door, so I decided to just go knocking on theirs (figuratively, not literally).

I know I’m not the only person who hasn’t pursued their dreams because they are afraid of what others might think or because they think they’re not good enough to fit in. So, I challenge you to find the things that are holding you back from accomplishing your dreams, analyze the reasons why you haven’t accomplished them yet, and remember, it only takes a few seconds of courage to change your life.

Related image


Published in The Tremonton Leader in February 2019


Comments